Oh baby, it’s been cold out this week. I went to work in my PJs on Tuesday just to keep warm.
One of my instructors/friends from the gym quit last week. His wife threw him a huge going away party so we could all say goodbye. She rented out a space at the park, was up until 3am making food the night before, and had a huge bucket of her homemade margarita. Everyone was there in winter coats and scarves, beanies and gloves, standing in the sun as much as possible to keep warm. You know what kept us warmer than anything?
A friend’s fat English bulldog wandering around letting all the kids (ages 4 – 64) pet her belly. Or how about…
…over 60 people showing up in cold weather to say, “You’ve done an awesome job. We’re going to miss you, but we want what’s best for you.” The specially printed T-shirt we all signed with a Sharpie, to express our appreciation. The couple that showed up on a tandem bike with a sound system on the back, jamming to 80s power ballads. My friend who brought her new Fuji Instax camera and took pictures of everyone, giving them the photo to shake, develop, and keep. Delicious, authentic homemade Thai food. Women gathered around the coals on the grill, warming our hands.
The generosity of people keeps my heart warm every day. And when your body gets too cold, you can always sneak home for a hot bath and a cup of tea.
Here are your gems from the internet this week.
- How to answer the question, “What makes you amazeballs?”
- MAC Cosmetics ‘Strength’ Advertisement Uses Muscular Female Model In Non-Insulting, Beautiful Manner. Thought-provoking image that asks the question, are strong women beautiful?
- Does Our Planet Need a Stroke of Insight? How mental health and global health might be linked.
- How To Make a Bad Day Better. One hint- balloons.
- “If you wish to be expressed, if you wish to live in your purpose, if you wish to Love and be Loved to the fullest – then become friends with uncertainty.” This is how an epic life is lived!
- Love this article by Alexandra Franzen. Time to choose your own adventure for 2013! (What’s it gonna be? Beauty, food, literature, business, spirituality, or … ?)
- Feeling frantic? Try this. 2-Minute Ease Hunt.
- Marilyn Monroe’s Unpublished Poems: The Complex Private Person Behind the Public Persona
- Want to sign up with me for The Sketchbook Project? Here is the 96 second explanation.
- The past year’s top 10 scientific insights about living a meaningful life – from UC Berkeley
- 29 Dates to Go on With Your Best Friend. Great ideas even if you aren’t best friends yet… do a couple of these and you will be.
- Daily Happiness is Already Ours
What Adults Can Learn From Kids
Thrift Shop Song